Study: Social Recommendation Index
The Social Recommendation Index is an online quantitative survey, that was issued to all members within the Smiley360 (smiley360.com) community, an online community for consumers to experience brands and share their product feedback. The survey was issued in 2014 from October to November. 24,367 respondents from Smiley360’s community answered the questions via an online survey.
- Facebook and Instagram lead the pack for sharing product purchases, with Pinterest not far behind.
- Trust in Pinterest increased from 56% in 2013 to 64% in 2014.
- Personal stories are better than star ratings. More than 90% (93%) of those surveyed said the most valuable reviews are those that contain personal stories.
- The closer the relationship, the greater the influence. According to 77% of those surveyed, close friends and family impact purchase the most, while only 11% said a celebrity impacts purchase.
- Consumers are not turned off by facilitated reviews, especially if it's written by a friend or family member. Close to 90% (88%) said they trust a review from a friend or family member who has received a free product in exchange for a review.
Source: Social Media Link